Evidence Receiving Unit
National Forensic Science Agency has established its Evidence Receiving Unit (ERU) with the following objectives:
- To work as a bridge and barrier between case submitting authorities and laboratories in NFSA
- To avoid direct correspondence between analysts/experts and investigating officers or offender/accused/grieves/victim
- To scrutinize the documents
- To scrutinize the evidence/samples
- To ensure integrity of internal/external chain of custody
- Correspondence with the case submitting authorities
- Dispatch of reports/Evidence disposition to the case submitting departments
- To keep evidence in safe custody(where applicable)
- To maintain case file record
REQUIREMENTS FOR CASE SUBMISSION
- DOCUMENTAL REQUIREMENTS
Following documents are checked/verified on recipient of case at ERU.
- Covering letter
- Copy of First Information Report (FIR)
- Road Certificate
- Medico Legal Certificate/ Post Mortem Report
- Service card/original CNIC of special messenger
- Original CNIC of victim/accused in cases where blood sample/buccal swabs taken by NFSA technician at its premises
- Recovery Memo
- Statement of abductee victim u/s 164 Cr.P.C.
- Bomb Disposal Inspection report and clearance certificate
- Specimen seal pattern
- Full record of chain of custody
- Court Order
Note: Additional information/documents may be required depending upon the case type. Any of the document is checked/verified wherever applicable
Covering letter is mandatory for case submission, duly issued by Gazetted rank Government official or above. The following contents of covering letter are verified:
- Letter/Diary number, Issue date, Signature and Stamp of the issuer
- Seal pattern
- Special messenger name and designation
- Number of sealed parcels/samples/evidence
- Description of each of the parcel/sample/evidence
- Explicit questioned request OR examination requested
- Case FIR number, date, PPC section clause imposed, police station (If FIR is registered against the case)
- Name and CNIC number of victim/accused physically sent to NFSA in cases where blood sample/buccal swab collection is requested at NFSA. Furthermore, name and designation of official accompanying the said individuals in custody
Note: If time gap between date of issue of letter and date of receiving at ERU is large, preservation/possession of the evidence during that period is inquired from the concerned quarters before acceptance of the case.
If the evidence/samples mentioned in the letter are incomplete or improper or not upto the minimum requirements as per NFSA guidelines, case may be partially accepted or returned.
Copy of FIR
- When the analysis is requested by Police, an attested copy of police FIR is required at the time of case submission.
- FIR No., Date, PPC section clause imposed and Police station are checked against those mentioned in covering letter.
- If more than one FIR’s are registered against a case, the same are demanded.
- Copy of FIR is not mandatory for the cases coming from other Government Departments, Intelligence agencies or referred by Honourable courts.
Road certificate is also mandatory at the time of case submission in order to maintain the external chain of custody. The following things are verified from the road certificate:
- Name, designation and belt number of special messenger
- Description of evidence/parcels
- Date of departure/arrival
If a carrier physically bringing the case is not the same as appointed on the road certificate, the case is not entertained. Any other inconsistency found on the road certificate and covering letter is clarified before acceptance of the case.
Medico Legal Certificate/ Post Mortem Report:
A Medico Legal Certificate (MLC)/Post Mortem Report complete in all respects is mandatory in cases in which samples are taken by Medico-Legal Officer. The following contents of an MLC are checked:
- Name, Signatures and stamp of the MLO who took the samples, sealed and handed over
- Description of the samples
- Preservative material used for storage of sample (if any)
- Purpose of the samples taken (DNA, Chemical examination etc.)
- Date and time of medical examination
- Time between last sexual activity and Date of medical examination in sexual assault cases
- Last Menopause in sexual assault cases
- Information about stool pass, if any, in sodomy cases
- Description of the interview, MLO has taken from victim
- Preliminary Opinion of the MLO
Service Card/CNIC of Special Messenger:
- Service card/CNIC of special messenger is verified at the time of case submission. If he/she is unable to prove his/her identity, case is not acceptable.
- If the person bearing service card/CNIC is not the same as mentioned on road certificate/covering letter, the case is returned back.
CNIC of individual giving his/her Buccal swab/Blood sample at NFSA:
NFSA provides service of buccal swab/blood sample collection at its facility. Original CNIC of individual giving his/her sample is mandatory at the time of sample collection. Consent form (Annexure) is filled by him/her with thumb impression and signature.
Statement of victim u/s 164 Cr.P.C. in cases involving abduction cum rape
Statement of the victim u/s/ 164 Cr.P.C. in abduction involving sexual assault cases is required to ascertain the time gap between last sexual activity and medical examination of the victim.
Recovery Memo is required to verify the external chain of custody.
Full record of chain of custody:
Any documents describing chain of custody, from crime scene to lab, are verified. It is inquired from concerned departments about any missing link in chain of custody before accepting the case.
Specimen Seal Pattern:
The specimen seal pattern is also checked against those mentioned in covering letter and evidence/samples. Case is returned if inconsistency found.
Bomb disposal inspection report and clearance certificate
This is necessary to determine whether the explosive material submitted to the lab is safe and secure.
Court Order (if any):
- Any case is acceptable on court order directly addressing NFSA or higher authorities. In such cases, covering letter or copy of FIR is not necessary condition to accept the case.
- Covering letter is mandatory in cases where court order addressed to case submitting authority. Copy of court order must be attached with the covering letter.